Health Care Rights
As a patient of Alexandra District Health, you have a right to expect safe, high quality, prompt and courteous treatment from our staff. You have a responsibility to provide us with information about your health to help us make the best choices about your care, and to treat all staff, visitors and your fellow patients with respect.
According to The Australian Charter of Healthcare Rights in Victoria, your rights are:
- Access – a right to access health care
- Safety – a right to receive safe and high-quality care
- Respect – a right to be shown respect, and to be treated with dignity and consideration
- Communication – a right to be informed about services, treatment options and costs in a clear and open way
- Participation – a right to be included in decisions and to make choices about your health care
- Privacy – a right to privacy & confidentiality of your personal information
- Comment – a right to comment on your health care, and to have your concerns addressed
Please help us provide you with the best possible care by:
- Providing accurate information, as best you can, about your current medical problems, previous illness, medications, visits to hospital, allergies and other matters relating to your health
- Asking staff for a clear explanation of treatments, tests and medications recommended for your care
- Letting staff know immediately if you do not understand instructions or advice given to you
- Discussing any worries or concerns you have with a relevant member of staff
- Letting staff know if you intend to leave the hospital
- Being courteous and considerate to other patients and to treating staff
- Being involved in the planning of your discharge
Zero Tolerance to Aggression and Violence
The hospital has a zero-tolerance policy to aggression, violence, and verbal abuse. Police will be called to incidents where staff or other patients feel threatened or abused.
When you become a patient or client of acute or primary health services, a medical record is created. Every time you attend Alexandra District Health, information is added to your record. We only collect information that is necessary to provide for your care and treatment.
Alexandra District Health adheres to the Information Privacy Act 2002 (Vic) and the Health Records Act (Vic) 2002. We are committed to protecting the privacy of personal information in accordance with the Information Privacy Act 2002.
Only authorised staff have access to personal information which remains confidential and is only used as appropriate.